Saturday, January 28, 2012

My husband keeps me grounded: Chitrangada Singh


Chitrangada Singh on her husband, catfights,controversies and the decision to go for jhatka matka.
Chitrangada Singh can proudly claim that she's at a point in her career, where things are unravelling just as she would like them to. She wowed the audiences and critics alike with a noteworthy debut in Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi, and just as easily made a smooth transition to commercial cinema, her latest attempt being Desi Boyz, where she essayed the role of a glamorous professor. Sure, on paper, her films haven't set the box office registers ringing, but in each of her performances, Chitrangada has always left her fans craving for more. Tagged as 'The Smita Patil of commercial cinema', we pin the petite actress for a candid Q & A

You are one of those few actresses, who debuted in films after you got married. What made you take up acting as a career choice? Marriage shouldn't be THE point in life, where everything we do is before and after. Most women do that to themselves. I am glad that hasn't happened to me. I am happy I could just do what I absolutely love doing.

From a critically acclaimed film like Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi to Desi Boyz. Are you consciously breaking free from the 'serious' actress image? Well, I did Yeh Saali Zindagi too, which was a very Guy Ritchie kind of film. It wasn't completely serious or commercial. I want to do popular cinema like Delhi Belly, Khosla Ka Ghosla etc. The idea is to do good work. There are no boundaries as such.

Now that you are also doing mainstream cinema, how do you think you will fare? What sets you apart? (Thinks) Apart from my fantastic cheek bones and jaw line, I think it's the fact that I look like the Smita Patil of commercial films! Look, it's a great time in Bollywood. So much work is happening. What sets each of us apart is how strong our screen presence is. Everyone is different.

You are doing an item song in Joker. Does it mean you are game for this new trend, where actresses have replaced item girls? I don't think it's a trend. If more and more people follow the same thing, it just becomes acceptable. Also, if you are a good dancer and if there is a nice song out there and someone wants to make that song the highlight of the film, I don't see any harm doing it.

You had a catfight with Deepika Padukone during Desi Boyz... (Mock laughter) Issues with Deepika? We shot together only for two days, so there is no chance that I had a 'catfight' with her. Also, there was enough budget for each of us to buy a dress, so we wouldn't fight for the same dress. I have no idea where this news came from. All I know is, I bought a pink dress for myself that I really liked and wanted to use in the film. And I am sure Deepika can go buy a dress for herself!

Apparently, Sudhir Mishra is obsessed with you. You've even been linked to him... It's very awkward. He's my mentor and guru. So, obviously, I would go back to the person if the need be. Once you get associated with a person, people start calling the relationship whatever they want to... It is very disgusting. But it hasn't affected my equation with him at all. We are both adults and we know how the industry functions.

Your husband Jyoti Randhawa doesn't belong to the film industry. How do you both deal with insecurities? It's great that he doesn't belong to the same industry. It's a good disconnect for me as well. It keeps me grounded. Or else, I would go back and keep talking about the same thing. When I go back, we talk about sports, what we are doing and other things. It's very real. As far insecurities are concerned, I don't know... Like I said, Jyoti is very secure and confident just the way he is. There is no insecurity at all. I think that's what helps me too. It stabilises me.

No comments:

Post a Comment